Creamy gluten free oats sweetened with dates and served over a bed of baked cinnamon apples. The perfect weekday or lazy weekend breakfast.
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and evenly sliced
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- pinch salt
- 4 dates, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 190 C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and toss apples with lemon juice, cinnamon and honey. Bake for 5 minutes then roll over parchment paper and tuck it in so they’re in a “pocket” to trap in moisture. Cook for 10-15 minutes more (20 minutes total) until soft. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, add oats, pinch salt, water and almond milk and stir. When it comes to a boil, reduce to low-medium heat and cook until thick and creamy. Add the chopped dates a few minutes after you reduce the heat so they can soften and sweeten the oats.
- Once thick, remove from stove top. Add a little almond milk if it’s too thick for your liking.
- Arrange 1/3 cup baked apples in bottom of a serving bowl and top with oats. Other toppings may include, nuts, nut butter, flaxseed, honey or cinnamon. I prefer mine with a few toasted pecans and flaxseed.